Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mexicans Dont Just Stock Vending Machines, Or Do They?


Okay, so I've never been a junk-food junkie or the vending machine stalker-type, so the fact that I REALLY cany indulge now doesnt bother me. But on a recent trip to the company breakroom, I found myself staring dreamily into the vending machine, gazing at the colorful packages with vivid images of tasty treats digitally enhanced on their facades. I was drinking a cup of tasteless water at the time... my third that day... and staring into the black-hole-of-caloric-bliss was helping me to down that cup and fill-up for my 4th before heading back to my desk. Well, as I stood there, styrofoam in-hand, I noticed something that never caught my attention before.

Fritos...
Doritos...
CHEETOS...

And it hit me! Might there have been a very POWERFUL ancestor of mine at PepsiCo (Frito-Lay) who named these products? Because I'm just saying... WTF is a DORITO? A FRITO? A CHEETO? So I took to the trusty-old Wikipedia for counsel.

Doritos (which, according to Frito-Lay, is Spanish for "little bits of gold")
Cheetos were invented in San Antonio, Texas by Fritos inventor Charles Elmer Doolin along with a potato product called "Fritato".

Well, turns out this Doolin fella isnt my wetback ancester after all, but his inventions went on to become the most popular junk-foods consumer globally. He died in 1959 but his Frito Company merged with HW Lay Company to form Frito-Lay and then became acquired by Pepsi-Cola and is now under the global manufacturing company of Pepsi-Co. And I know you REALLY didnt care to know all that, but I thought it was a good story on living the American dream... one greasy, fattening chip at a time.

Okay anyhooo~~~~~~~~ So I scanned the other items and really didnt notice other striking similarities between the other dispensibles besides "key terms" like "cheese flavored" and "less fat" or the every popular "20% MORE!". Now I remember WHY I never liked buying my nutrition from a rectangular glass storage case. That AND because every 5th time I buy something, it vails to properly "VEND" and I'm forced to attempt rocking the machine to force my purchase to the bottom. WHY DONT the stockers of said machines TAKE THE TIME to ensure they are placing the packages at angles that allow (and cause) the product to clear the surface and succomb to gravitational pull? Like WHY isnt this Snicker's leaning slightly forward so it at least HAS A CHANCE to fall out, huh?????????? ANd of course they tell you to NOT rock the machine... "Could cause injury or death". Well uh, HELLO!?! I didnt know I was gonna have to risk my life over this $2.00 KIT-KAT!!

But I digress. Its been a long day. Just thought I'd ramble on here for a change since I've been away. More eventful posts to come.

SG~

1 comment:

Teej said...

LOL...I admit that I get bored at work and abuse wikipedia with the best of them, but damn Summer! You really took it there with this one!